Tobias DiPasquale on Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:10:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "inter-user mail"

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 22:58, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:37:24PM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> > Ok, let's finish this: The RFC REQUIRES the domain part for it to be a
> > valid SMTP address. It requires a user and domain part for ALL SMTP
> > senders and recipients. In this, it is quite clear. (RFC 822/2822)
>
> But what bearing have the SMTP RFCs on local mail delivery? It
> doesn't *use* SMTP (unless you tell it to). It doesn't use UUCP
> either. It can just drop the mail in the right spool. Now, it so
> happens that almost all MTAs in common use on Unix-like operating
> systems speak SMTP and, for convenience's sake, speak it almost all
> of the time, but it's by no means a requirement for local mail
> delivery for "localhost" to even resolve, nor for there even to be
> any concept of networking, much less IP networking.

Thank you for reiterating what I was saying. Someone on the list claimed
that using @localhost should default to delivering locally; I was trying
to point out the issues behind that and why that isn't necessarily the
default situation.

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >>
UNIX Software Engineer