William H. Magill on Sun, 8 Dec 2002 11:10:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Corrupted inbox

On Saturday, December 7, 2002, at 04:41 PM, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 07:13:55PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
My inbox somehow got corrupted. In mutt messages seem to start and end
in random places meaning that the beginning of the next message is part
of the current message. In kmail, which I usually use, messages seem
to get trashed as I select them. That is, When I select the most
recent message, what is displayed is the middle of some message with no
headers, and the message is moved to the top of the list where old and
undated messages are usually placed.

This only is happening to my inbox, not my other folders.

I seem to recall some utility for repairing corrupted inboxes, but
can't seem to find it.  Any suggestions?

First, if you haven't done it yet, move the inbox somewhere where it won't be touched accidentally, and make a copy of that, so that you can afford to make a few mistakes before you figure out the right way to fix it.

Take a look at it under emacs or something and see if you can see
what's going on. The mbox format is pretty regular and easy.

The most frequent corruption is a "long" line of some non-printable character.

The culprit is usually quite obvious when you look at the file in emacs.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org