epike on Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:44:12 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Does this sound like a lemon?

> Further, I'm getting hostname kernel: hda: dma-intr status=0x51 {
> DriveReady SeekCompleteError }
> hostname kernel: hda: dma-intr status=0x84 { DriveStatusErrror
> BadCRC}
> in syslog unless I turn of DMA with hdparm.  I googled and found this
> could be due to cabling or a bad HD.  I welcome any thoughts on those
> errors (keeping in mind the above behavior)
>
> Lastly, I'm getting FAT errors in dmesg
> FAT Bogus LogicalSector size 0
> FAT: Did not find valid FSINFO signature
> Directory 1 bad FAT (Along with File system Panic)
>
> So, did I get a lemon, or am I missing something obvious...
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rob Carlson

maybe your hard disk / ide controller work only on some
udma modes ( the hdparm -X parameters).  could be worth
checking with -i and -I (for capabilities) and playing
around with -X since youre starting from scratch anyway..

Personally i have the following entries in rc.local,
but these are hand-tested to be correct and
optimal for my hard disks (theyre ultra 100 on a promise
100tx2 controller) (WARNING: they cause errors if used
incorrectly):

hdparm -d 1 -X69 /dev/hde
hdparm -c 1 /dev/hde
hdparm -W 1 /dev/hde