Gregson Helledy on Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:39:06 -0500

[PLUG] Anyone use joysticks under linux?

I am running the Libranet 2.0 Essentials install. I found
out about an open source flight simulator called flightgear,
and to my pleasant surprise, it's part of Debian Woody, so
I had no problem installing it.  It runs normally (I can
maneuver using arrow keys).

I have, however, now run into an obstacle with my
joystick. It is a Gravis Destroyer, model number 10501.
After doing an lsmod earlier, I knew that the gameport
on my Creative SB 128PCI had been detected, and I
thought that the joystick would be detected simply by
plugging it in (to be clear, I did this with power off).
However, nothing was detected.

I did some searching online. What I found told me to be
sure that joystick support is enabled in the kernel
(it is in as a module) and to try doing "insmod joydev".
I did this and the result of lsmod is:
root@sleepy:/home/adler# lsmod
Module Size Used by Tainted: P
joydev 6784 0
NVdriver 945472 10 (autoclean)
nls_cp1251 3616 2 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 2848 2 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 4384 2 (autoclean)
es1371 27072 0
soundcore 3588 4 [es1371]
ac97_codec 9696 0 [es1371]
gameport 1548 0 [es1371]
apm 9276 0
ne2k-pci 5056 1
8390 6016 0 [ne2k-pci]
smbfs 32160 2
printer 5600 0 (unused)
parport_pc 14756 1 (autoclean)
lp 6080 0 (unused)
parport 23264 1 [parport_pc lp]
ide-scsi 7648 0
ide-cd 26656 0
sr_mod 13144 0 (unused)
cdrom 28960 0 [ide-cd sr_mod]
scsi_mod 50396 2 [ide-scsi sr_mod]
rtc 5592 0 (autoclean)
root@sleepy:/home/adler#

However, when I run some joystick configuration/calibration programs,
I get a "Joystick not found" type of error:
==================================
root@sleepy:/usr/games# ./fgjs
Found 0 joystick(s)
Can't find any joysticks ...
root@sleepy:/usr/games# joystick-device-check
device files are okay!
root@sleepy:/usr/games# ./js_demo
Joystick test program.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joystick 0 not detected
Joystick 1 not detected
Joystick 2 not detected
Joystick 3 not detected
Joystick 4 not detected
Joystick 5 not detected
Joystick 6 not detected
Joystick 7 not detected
root@sleepy:/usr/games#

Is anyone out there using a joystick on a Libranet or Debian system?
Do I need to load yet another module somewhere?  Or is this likely a
missing entry in /dev, or something else?  The joystick itself is fine.

Greg Helledy

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise