Noah Silva on Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:40:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Making Video-CD's

Hi,

Not that movies are commonly traded in DivX and other formats and called
"VCDs", even when they are not.

To make True VCDs, you need to re-encode the videos onto VCD Compliant VCD
streams.  You can use Transcode or MEncoder to do this.  (If you wan tto
convert DVD into VCD you can use DVDRip too, which calls transcode).

You must convert the VCD Compliant MPEG files into .DAT files (Which are
just MPEG files with extra data correction built in).  You can use
VCDTools to do this.  After that, a somewhat special format is created, as
there are various auxillery files created to describe the CD (and menus,
etc. if needed).  I don't recall which program I used to do that (possibly
VCDGear).  the images can be burned with CDRDAO, or (I think) recent
versions of CDRecord.  Alternatively, if you want to convert a VCD someone
gave you into MPEG videos, you just run the .DAT files in the mpegav
folder through the DAT2MPG from vcdtools.

 thanks,
    noah silva