Edward M. Corrado on Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:30:06 -0500

[PLUG] Confirm print jobs on Windows before printing to Samba

I am trying to write a script that will run when a print job comes
from a M$ Windows machine to my Samba server (running RedHat Linux -
currently 7.3) and ask for the Windows user to confirm that they want to
print the job once it is on the server (and the number of pages has been
determined).

Getting the script to run and do almost everything I want shouldn't be
that big of a problem except for one issue -- how to do the
client interface. The script basically will take a print job (in this case
it will come from a postscript driver), send through a short routine to
see how many pages it is, and then it can print it. However, before the
script prints the job, I'd like to have a message pop up on the Windows
Machine saying something like "You are about to print 637 pages. Are you
sure you want to kill this many trees" (or maybe something a little more
subtle). The box should then have two options (Print or Cancel). The Linux
server should then get this response and then either remove the job or
print it.

I really can't come up with any idea on where to start with the Windows
interface part of my idea. I know I can send a message using "smbclient
-M", Linpopup, etc. but I want something that only has the "Yes" or
"No" boxes. Also, I am not sure how I could get the correct response back
to the Linux Server using those tools.

Does anyone have any idea of what tools/programs I can look at using. I
have been browsing newsgroups and doing various searchs on Google, but I
haven't found anything that looks useful for my project.

Thanks for reading this far,

Ed C.