Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:30:07 -0500

[PLUG] mail reader/server config

I'm moving my workstation to a place that's not my mail server. So how
do I read mail?

Here mail is my mail machine, smarthost, and ws is my
workstation. Some thoughts:

1. mail (the machine) sends my mail on to my workstation. ws knows to
   deliver locally if it can, but otherwise to use mail as a
   smarthost. (Is this too complicated? What happens to mail when ws
   is down for something? It can happen with ws.)

2. mail delivers locally. ws mounts mail:/var/mail. Uh, oh. Procmail
   needs my home directory. Things get bad.

3. mail delivers locally, ws mounts mail:/var/mail, and mail mounts
   ws:/home/jeff. Oy, this sounds like a recipe for a hang if I so
   much as unplug a cable. And I've had mutt complain about linux's
   nfs's ability to lock properly.

4. ws mounts mail:/home/jeff/Mail. I ssh to mail to read
   mail. Procmail is fine. Because ws has mounted
   mail:/home/jeff/Mail, I can save attachments and still have access
   to them, etc. Seems dirty, but so does everything else.

5. ws runs fetchmail, no nfs mounts, but lots of pops or imaps.

These all seem a bit on the kludge side. Suggestions?

--
 Jeff