epike on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:18:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mail reader/server config

> I'm moving my workstation to a place that's not my mail server. So how
> do I read mail?
>
> Here mail is my mail machine, smarthost, and ws is my
> workstation. Some thoughts:
>
> 1. mail (the machine) sends my mail on to my workstation. ws knows to
>    deliver locally if it can, but otherwise to use mail as a
>    smarthost. (Is this too complicated? What happens to mail when ws
>    is down for something? It can happen with ws.)
>
> 2. mail delivers locally. ws mounts mail:/var/mail. Uh, oh. Procmail
>    needs my home directory. Things get bad.
>
> 3. mail delivers locally, ws mounts mail:/var/mail, and mail mounts
>    ws:/home/jeff. Oy, this sounds like a recipe for a hang if I so
>    much as unplug a cable. And I've had mutt complain about linux's
>    nfs's ability to lock properly.
>
> 4. ws mounts mail:/home/jeff/Mail. I ssh to mail to read
>    mail. Procmail is fine. Because ws has mounted
>    mail:/home/jeff/Mail, I can save attachments and still have access
>    to them, etc. Seems dirty, but so does everything else.
>
> 5. ws runs fetchmail, no nfs mounts, but lots of pops or imaps.
>
> These all seem a bit on the kludge side. Suggestions?
>
> --
>  Jeff
>
>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>
>  GPG fingerprint: 1A1A BA95 D082 A558 A276  63C6 16BF 8C4C 0D1D AE4B

Hi

some suggestiosn for you:

option 1. ws.yourdomain.com uses fetchmail to fetch mail,
   uses smarthost.yourdomain.com as your outgoing mail
   (smarthost).

   to correct your outgoing headers so it
   apears you@yourdomain.com (and of course local apps can also
   maniuplate their headers):

   option 1.a. (this works for me): on sendmail.mc (dont forget
   to m4 sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf)

         MASQUERADE_AS(yourdomain.com)
         FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
         define(`SMART_HOST',`smarthost.yourdomain.com')

   option 1.b (i dont use, but should also work)

   on sendmail.mc:

         FEATURE(`genericstable')

   on /etc/mail/genericstable:

         unixname       yourname@yourdomain.com

option 2. to deliver mail to your workstation you will
   need to setup the sendmail on smarthost, maniuplating
   /etc/mail/mailertable and /etc/mail/access on smarthost
   and /etc/mail/local-host-names on ws.  then outgoing
   from ws will use SMART_HOST as above.

0.02
epike