W. Chris Shank on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:58:51 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 21:03, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 07:48, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-12-15 at 21:23, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > >
> > > C'mon, isn't there some windows program that you would rather not do
> > > without on a regular basis, but have gotten to the point where you can
> > > do most of your work in Linux?  Win4Lin and VMWare are a nice way to
> > > spend your day in Linux while using that one vertical market windows app
> > > that you really need to use.
> >
> > Which would be??? What is it that you need to use every day that you
> > can't find a suitable replacement that is native Linux? Let me know and
> > we'll see if we can find something for you.
>
> Time Matters legal case management software.  It's like a super
> PIM/Document Management System/MailMerge/Billing System/MUA (I don't use
> this component) and probably more (http://www.timematters.com/).  Under
> pressure from some active Linux supporting customers, and a joint
> venture with Toshiba to market a server appliance, there is now a Linux
> server, i.e. the back end can run on RedHat 7.2 with Postgres or mySQL,
> but the clients are still all windows based.

Have you attempted running this under wine? How many other lawyers would
be interested to pay for this functionality under wine? Perhaps you can
form a coalition and fund the development?

> As my practice has moved from civil litigation to criminal trials, I
> have found that I could do with less desktop power and more
> portability.  I duplicated the stuff I need the most on my Palm Pilot.
> The Palm already handles the contacts, the calendaring, and the
> deadlines, and I have created a pretty respectable case management
> database for everything else I need (including billing) using a
> commercial PalmOS RDBMS formerly called thinkDB.  Though thinkDB was
> just sold by its developer, ThinkingBytes to Dataviz (ThinkingBytes
> wanted to go totally MS.NET/PocketPC) and renamed "Smart Lists to Go",
> the Desktop component and synching conduits are still limited to
> Windows, meaning that, if I want to print, report on, or manipulate my
> data, I need windows.  I have an ongoing quest to find a Palm based DBMS
> that will sync with a Linux based desktop, and so far, have failed.

Evolution is a pretty good calendaring and contact management -
especially if you centralize with an LDAP. I think 1.2 has palm syncing
capability - but I don't have a palm - so I haven't tried?

> The other Windows program that I find indispensable is QuickBooks.
> GNUCash may or may not be a replacement for Quicken, but even Quicken is
> not a replacement for QuickBooks.

I seem to recall crossover supporting Quickbooks now. But you can find
out for yourself at www.codeweavers.org.

> There is no Acrobat for Linux, just a reader and basic, featureless
> creator.  No support for forms creation (or form data saving even),
> annotations, digital signatures, navigations, etc.

OpenOffice.org supports printing directly to pdf. Also, I find that
printing to Postscript (ps) then running ps2pdf acceptable. I've even
heard of people writing cron scripts that automatically convert any ps
files in a particular directory to PDF- so you would basically print the
file to a standard location and it would be converted in a matter of
minutes.

> Other than that, my QuattroPro spreadsheet templates (fine tuned for 10
> years) run fine in Corel's Linux version, and some day, I will be able
> to translate my automated Word templates into either StarBasic
> (documented only in German for now) or in the new (and exciting
> OpenOffice Framework.

Yeah - I don't think OpenOffice.org handles Quatro pro - but if you have
something that works already....

> I will be very grateful if you could fill any of these needs with an
> Open Source, Linux replacement (or improvement)

How grateful?

--
W. Chris Shank <chris.shank@acetechgroup.com>
ACE Technology Group