epike on Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:30:32 -0500

[PLUG] custom syslog logging

hi

I want to implement a custom log via syslog facility.
the purpose is to trap connection attempts and log
them (by iptables).  I'm thinking of adding
something like this in /etc/syslog.conf:

      user.notice            /log/connections/iptables

and then setting the appropriate log-level accordingly
on iptables traps that i set up.

would this work?  Is there a more correct way to do this
(the syslogging stuff)?  Are there reserved log levels
on syslog facility that i can use?

thanks in advance,
e pike