Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:01:08 -0500

[PLUG] Spamassassin questions

I've read the man page a few times over, and a couple of how-tos for
setting it up with kmail and evolution (w/o fetchmail/procmail), think
I understand it, but still can't get it to work.

The kmail method runs each incoming message through "spamassassin" via
a filter.  Spamassassin is supposed to flag messages determined to be
spam.  Then a subsequent filter, checking for the flags, either
deletes, bounces or quarantines it.

The evolution method runs each incoming message through "spamassassin
-e"  which is supposed to cause spamassassin to return a non-zero value
if the mail is spam.  The same filter then moves the message to a spam
folder if it receives the non-zero value.

Neither method is working for me.

Kmail is indeed processing every message through spamassassin
(evidenced by sharply increased retrieval times), but spamassassin does
not appear to be setting any flags.

I notice that mail in /var/spool/mail/arthur does seem to be getting
tagged as spam, but kmail stores its mail in ~/Mail.

Why is mail getting into both of these locations?  Can I direct
spamassassin to direct its flagged rewrites to ~/Mail?  The man page
includes a parameter that redirects the reads to STDOUT wherever that
is.

I know that others on this list are using spamassassin successfully.
The mail in /var/spool/mail/arthur seems to be getting tagged
accurately.  Please help.