sean finney on Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:32:05 -0500

[PLUG] [OT] freely available windows dvd decoder and xwin client?

hey pluggers,

so i'm back home in CA right now hanging out at my mom's house, which
means i'm typing into a putty ssh terminal on a windows98 box.  anyways,
i brought a dvd from PA with me that i was hoping to be able to play
on her computer's dvd drive.  however, she doesn't seem to have any
dvd decoding software or hardware, and i can't find anything on the
net that is both "free" (in the most open-ended, least "free" sense of
the word) and doesn't have some kind of 10 minute playback limitation.
does anyone have any experience with this?  i miss my linux box :(

also, along similar lines, i have a small number of apps i want to
xforward from PA onto this windows box, and i'm looking for some kind
of program that will let x-fordwarded programs show up on my desktop
like any other app.  i've used xwin32 in the past and it more or less
does what i want, but i'll rue the day that i ever have to pay for
crappy windows software again!  plus, the nag screens and time limit on
xwin32 are just obnoxous.

anyway, thanks for any info, and greetz from CA,
        sean