J. McConnell on Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:04:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] [OT] freely available windows dvd decoder and xwin client?

Oh...forgot to mention...Vmware (www.vmware.com) allows you to demo the
software (no restrictions...totally free) so you might try that...install
vmware and then install a distro of choice in a virtual machine.  Vmware has
a fullscreen mode, so you won't be working out of a little window.  On a
decent box (PIII or better) speed is at least comparable to x
forwarding...and better than VNC (which I like as well).

And on the VNC front, if you choose that (which also has full screen), check
different versions.  TightVNC compresses data before sending it and is
sometimes considerably faster.  There are also secure versions like SVNC,
among others.  All are worth taking a look at since they all support
different features (security, speed, file transfer, etc.)

Let me know what you decide to do...especially if you find a free x
server...I would be very interested to know about it.

- J.