Weissman, Gary on Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:22:07 -0500

RE: [PLUG] SAMBA Server

I hadn't decided on a distribution yet...RH 8.0 I was thinking, but maybe
that is too much, especially if I am using an older machine?

The box wouldn't be used as a domain controller since most users will be
running Win98, but would be for file sharing and print services.  As for the
CUPS, I've never configured the printer server before like this so I don't
know if I would use CUPS, or does the SAMBA daemon handle the windows
printing, too?  There would be no Linux desktops on the network.

Thanks everyone for your time and advice!

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: jon
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 12/27/2002 10:48 AM
Subject: RE: [PLUG] SAMBA Server

You know... after screwing with this stuff for the first time last
night,
I'm inclined to agree with you, Paul.

The web-based tools didn't really work all that well, and the conf files
aren't too evil to manage, really.

I found this to be helpful:
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/samba.htm

Also, what distribution are you using, Gary? Do you need CUPS support,
that
kind of thing?

	-- jon