Walt Mankowski on Sat, 28 Dec 2002 02:01:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] spamassassin

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 09:14:32PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> No, but it's getting there.  That's why, for now, I am diverting spam to
> a folder rather than deleting it right away.  I figure that if mail gets
> accidentally bounced, I can write to the sender when I empty the spam
> folder, and straighten it out.  That would be much easier than manually
> bouncing all of the true spam.

Sounds great, until you automatically bounce that legitimate, though
spam-appearing, email from, say, a potential employer or a conference
you want to attend... :-)

When I tried out spamassassin I discovered that certain mailing lists
had a large number of false positives.  For example. on technical
discussion lists (such as this) people often post messages with
subjects in all caps because it happens to be the name of some piece
of hardware they're trying to get work.  If you start bouncing that
sort of mail, you'll find you're suddenly getting unsubcribed from
these lists because the mailing list software thinks your email
address is bouncing.

Walt