jeff on Wed, 01 Jan 2003 19:41:03 -0500

[PLUG] scanning/printing and Linus Torvalds

Last night I found out there's little support for parallel port scanners
and none for mine.  USB and SCSI are mentioned as the way to go.

So I'd like a new printer and scanner.  PC World gave a best buy rating
to a $79 Canon (I320) printer whose ink cartridges are about half the
price of the rest of them.  It uses a USB port.  (It will cost me almost
this much to replace the cartridges in the HP712c I have now.)  The
Google results show no linux support.

I saw there was some support for the HP printer/scanner combos.  Can
anyone recommend a cheap one of any brand with linux support?  If these
aren't a good idea, does anyone have a USB scanner recommendation?
Either or both just have to function decently - I don't do precision
work.

Thanks.

--
jeff <jeffv@op.net>