Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:02:06 -0500

Re: Speakeasy - Re: [PLUG] Verizon Business DSL

> I'm about to move (across a parking lot, but to a different phone
> NID, so there'll have to be a new Verizon install, then Covad
> hookup), and switch over to 768/768 SDSL. I've only spoken with
> Speakeasy on the "Okay, what do I need to do to muscle Verizon into
> doing the right thing," front so far, but I'll be glad to let folks
> know how it goes, if you're curious.

Since you recommended it, I used speakeasy for a few months, and I love
it. Calling a comcast provider (for a client) woke me up to how cool
speakeasy is. Those idiots were grilling me about how many computers were
connected. I didn't answer (none of your business, comcast!) I was calling
them so I could ask them to purchase or lease a static ip, and these
idiots were acting like the police grilling a felon (me). Comcast finally
told me that they didn't have static ips. I think that they were a bit
confused when I told them I wanted to serve some things out. I finally
gave up on them.

If you move w/ speakeasy, tell them one month in advance. I'm offline for
a few weeks b/c they have to install something to get me backonline in my
new building.

I moved a few blocks down the street from the old place. I'm in the city
so I can't be their only customer. It's a bit annoying and confusing not
being online.

> Since I can keep my old line up via a wireless link to the new
> apartment, I should be near zero downtime, provided that Verizon
> doesn't break something. Hopefully enough of it's out of their hands
> that that won't be possible...

Wise, wise move.

Fred