Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:11:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SAMBA weirdness

> On Tuesday 31 December 2002 09:29, jon wrote:
> > Hey... out of curiosity, are you using cups as the printer driver, or
> > something else?
> >
> > 	-- jon
>
> I'm using the standard, out of the box, CUPS installation from the SuSE 8.1
> distro.

Did you do lpq to see what was happening on the linux side?

I'm assuing that the client side filtering option didn't work.

What type of printer is it? I'm guessing that it's an ink jet or you
wouldn't be using CUPS.

How did you install the printer on the windows side? Did you give it the
proper printer name?

I think that a main complication of this is that while we like .ps in
unix, these ink jets have their own wacky dialects of their own languages.
This creates a nightmare for open source support as people often have to
reverse engineer all of them.

What's worse is that windows if you install ink jet driver under windows,
then windows is going to create wacky dialect, and send it to samba
server, where it's going to be assumed to be .ps and it's going to try to
translate it to wacky dialect. Obviously if you try to go from wacky ->
wacky == hopeless mess. The printer is going to be really upset at this
point.

So I'm guessing that this samba option will just pass the file along w/o
letting cups modify it again, which is the Right Way.

Unless you need color, probably better to get a postscript printer. I like
postscript b/c I tell windows and linux, look this is vanilla postscript,
just deal with that, stop asking me for model numbers and so forth. In
most linux distros, you can just plug printer in and install lpd.

I just plugged my printer in and "it just worked."

Good luck,

Fred