Will Dyson on Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:41:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] intellectual property, code, employment laws, etc

Marc Zucchelli wrote:
I have been working as an independent contractor for a
company almost full time for a few years now, I am
just thinking about taking the position as an employee
and getting on a payroll so I don't have to worry
about taxes, but I am worried about rights to my code.
 For example, I have *heard* that anything I write on
my own time belongs to my employer, etc, things like
that.  On one end, what if I put together my own
software product which I want to sell, does profit
really belong to my employer, on the lower extreme,
what if I write my own library and decide to use it in
a project for work, how do I keep that part of the
code as my own.  ....Just examples, does anyone know
where I can find more info on this?

The first place to look is in the contract your employer would offer you. If there are any provisions in there that you don't like, talk to your employer about them.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman