eric@lucii.org on Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:30:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] intellectual property, code, employment laws, etc

Marc:

I'd suggest you check with the "HR" department where you are
thinking of taking the job.  They should know or could find
out what the restrictions are.  Depending on the employer
you'll find a wide range of requirements - some are severely
restrictive and others are quite fair.

Good luck

Eric

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 12:47:25PM -0800, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> I have been working as an independent contractor for a
> company almost full time for a few years now, I am
> just thinking about taking the position as an employee
> and getting on a payroll so I don't have to worry
> about taxes, but I am worried about rights to my code.
>  For example, I have *heard* that anything I write on
> my own time belongs to my employer, etc, things like
> that.  On one end, what if I put together my own
> software product which I want to sell, does profit
> really belong to my employer, on the lower extreme,
> what if I write my own library and decide to use it in
> a project for work, how do I keep that part of the
> code as my own.  ....Just examples, does anyone know
> where I can find more info on this?
>
> Marc

#   Eric Allan Lucas