Gregson Helledy on Mon, 06 Jan 2003 11:01:07 -0500

[PLUG] SAMBA wierdness, the saga continues

Last week I posted about my ability to print from Win98 to a
linux machine after adding "use client driver = yes" to the
smb.conf file.

Now I've set up my linux desktop machine (running Libranet)to
print to this same printer.  All goes well, except that
 sending a print job from the Libranet machine activates
the server's dial-on-demand link (diald).

The print server/dial-on-demand machine is running Mandrake 7.2
Single Network Firewall (2.2-series kernel).  Packages are:
cups-1.1.7-2.2mdk
samba-2.0.7-18mdk

The attached (parallel port) printer is set to "raw" using the client's
driver.

The desktop linux machine is running Libranet 2.0  I've updated cups to
the latest version in stable.
Packages are:
cupsys 1.1.14-3
samba-common 2.2.2-10
The cupsd.conf file has "Browsing Off",
which should (?) avoid triggering the link.
I have not changed the default ports for SAMBA (631, I think).

Questions:
* Why is Libranet, but not windows, triggering the Mandrake box to
dial the internet?  What would cups send that windows doesn't?

* Should I not be using SAMBA to communicate between linux boxes?

Greg

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise