Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:10:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] intellectual property, code, employment laws, etc

> If there's disagreement on what a clause means, write them a letter in
> follow up and send it to them certified with return receipt saying,
> simply and very politely, that clause X was ambigous to you, that you
> signed the contract with the understanding that it meant X1 and not
> X2, and that they should contact you if they are uncomfortable with
> that interpretation.

I am not a lawyer. This isn't legal advice. Blah blah.

I agree that each detail should be clarified and the words clearly
defined. The less ambiguity the better for you and the worse for your
employer.

However, I don't think that any letter you send them has an weight as a
contract if they don't sign it. I can't send you a letter telling me that
you will pay me so much money for so much work and that if you don't
agree, you must contact me.

Also, if the employer agrees to anything begrudgingly, you are off to a
bad start all ready. The goal is to get a contract that is so fair to both
of you and so clear that you both don't _want_ to go to court.

Good luck to all of you in the software industry. As a kid, I thought of
this business as a nice quiet job. Ha.

Fred