Marc Zucchelli on Wed, 08 Jan 2003 00:10:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] intellectual property, code, employment laws, etc

Section 8 is what I'm worried about.

8.  INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. Employee/Subcontracor,
without demand, will disclose promptly to Employer,
all inventions, discoveries and improvements relating
to any work to which Employee/Subcontractor is
assigned by Employer, or relating to any product or
process used or contemplated by Employer or any
affiliated company which Employee shall conceive or
make either alone or jointly, at any time during the
period of his employment, whether or not concieved or
made with ther assistance of information, equipment or
material furnished by Employer.  All such ideas,
inventions, discoveries or improvements concieved or
made during Employee's employment/Contract, shall
belong solely and exclusively to employer and
employee/Subcontractor shall assin all of his rights,
title and interest, including property rights, in and
to such idea, invention, discovery or improvement, to
Employer.

What I do is web applicaiton development, either for
the company, or for the companies clients.  Alot of
times there is electronic commerce involved.  This
contract worries me because, what if I have another
client of my own who needs say a shopping cart
written, is this going to belong to my employer since
I signed the contract even though I wrote it for my
own client just because it is "code", or even more so
because it's a shopping cart, and I've done shopping
carts for the company.  Or what if I use similiar
coding techniques/infrastructures that I have grown
accustomed to through my own maturity.  Or say I start
my own services based business based on a web
application, does the money I make belong to my
employer now?