Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:50:31 -0500

[PLUG] Re: chinatown express

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:32:12PM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > I'm all signed up; got my badge in the mail and everything. Did anybody else
> > remember to sign up? I figure we could do what we've done the last couple
> > years - SEPTA to Trenton; Trenton to NYC. Slightly longer than Amtrack; much
> > less cost. The day runs from 10AM to 5PM, so I'm figuring on an early set of
> > trains, to get to NYC around 10:30-11.
>
> This is no joke. There is a train from Philly chinatown to NYC's. It's a
> little bit faster than the septa/nj transit train and it costs $10
> roundtrip. I rode it once, and it was very clean. The old Jackie Chan
> movie was quite funny.

They doubled their prices on 13 December, so it's now $20 RT, $12 one
way. Still a good deal, still about 2 hours, faster than septa/njt,
cheaper than both septa/njt and greyhound.

There are two companies, which don't collude but which nonetheless
raise their prices in lock step: Dragon (1041 Race, but look for a bus
before you look for the office) and 2000 New Century Transit (10th
Street just north of the Greyhound station). They run almost the same
schedules, roughly every two hours. Sometimes the movies are in
English. I'm pretty sure there's a 7 a.m. bus, which gets you to East
Broadway (under the Manhattan Bridge) around 9:30 (rush hour). It's a
good half hour up town to Javitts from there.

--
 Jeff