Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:50:30 -0500

Re: UPS VA ratings (was: Re: [PLUG] equipment give-away on Wed evening)

Dividing by the square root of two is more than a good approximation:

   <http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213722,00.html>

To compute the root mean square of a sinusoidal wave form, we want to
compute the square root of the mean value of the square of the
wave. In other words, square the sin, add it up (integrate), and
divide by the length of what we integrated before taking a square
root.

It suffices to find the root of the mean from 0 to pi, since sin
squared is periodic with period pi:

    sqrt ( integral(0,pi)[sin^2 x dx] / pi )

In other words, compute the area under the curve of sin squared from 0
to pi, divide by the length to get the mean, and then take the square
root.

The integral of sin^2 x is 1/2 x - 1/2 sin x cos x + C. The second
term is zero at both zero and pi, and the first term is zero at
zero. Since the constant cancels out, the integral from 0 to pi is
pi/2. Divide by pi and we get 1/2. Take the square root.

-Jeff