gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 08 Jan 2003 07:21:05 -0500

Re: UPS VA ratings (was: Re: [PLUG] equipment give-away on Wed evening)

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:33:58AM -0500, Will Dyson wrote:
> Remember that just because a power supply is rated for however many Watts,
> doesn't mean that it is actually drawing that much power. It is just that
> the manufacturer claims you can do so without it melting.

Sure, but it means that the power supply has the potential to draw
that much, so if I'm using a battery backup system, I want it to be
one that can handle the maximal load.

And, fwiw, that system *has* a 450 W power supply because a 350 W
one was insufficient (periodically--like while both SCSI CD-ROMs
were spinning, music was playing from the IDE drive, and find(1) was
doing its weekly cron thing across all the SCSI disks, the machine
would simply switch off), so I'd bet I could manage to use the
majority of that wattage.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net