Ziegler, Scott on Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:21:05 -0500

RE: [PLUG] intellectual property, code, employment laws, etc

I believe it also depends upon what the employer perceives to be a conflict
of interest. They may or may not care about you side activities, but if they
do they have legal grounds through this contract.

As previously posted you may want to get a lawyer for clarification.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Patterson [mailto:patterson@computer.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 9:06 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] intellectual property, code, employment laws, etc

Be worried.

Marc Zucchelli wrote:

> Section 8 is what I'm worried about.
>
> 8.  INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. Employee/Subcontracor,
> without demand, will disclose promptly to Employer,
> all inventions, discoveries and improvements relating
> to any work to which Employee/Subcontractor is
> assigned by Employer, or relating to any product or
> process used or contemplated by Employer or any
> affiliated company which Employee shall conceive or
> make either alone or jointly, at any time during the
> period of his employment, whether or not concieved or
> made with ther assistance of information, equipment or
> material furnished by Employer.  All such ideas,
> inventions, discoveries or improvements concieved or
> made during Employee's employment/Contract, shall
> belong solely and exclusively to employer and
> employee/Subcontractor shall assin all of his rights,
> title and interest, including property rights, in and
> to such idea, invention, discovery or improvement, to
> Employer.
>
> What I do is web applicaiton development, either for
> the company, or for the companies clients.  Alot of
> times there is electronic commerce involved.  This
> contract worries me because, what if I have another
> client of my own who needs say a shopping cart
> written, is this going to belong to my employer since
> I signed the contract even though I wrote it for my
> own client just because it is "code", or even more so
> because it's a shopping cart, and I've done shopping
> carts for the company.  Or what if I use similiar
> coding techniques/infrastructures that I have grown
> accustomed to through my own maturity.  Or say I start
> my own services based business based on a web
> application, does the money I make belong to my
> employer now?

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.