Paul on Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:21:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OS Refund Day

Interesting.  Too bad it's so difficult to get what's promised in writing!

In the case of my laptop, I'll just pay the M$ tax. Why? Let's put it this way: How many times have I actually paid for a M$ OS?! I bought a second-hand copy of DOS, brand new NT 4.0 Workstation, and force-fed XP Home. Yet, I've run almost every release from DOS to Win9x to 2000/XP.

When it comes to buying computers, instead of trying to get refunds we could just build or shop for PCs without the M$ tax. No, I do believe big companies should honor their agreements, and that the fight for refunds is hornorable, but there are alternatives.

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8645822376.html

Interesting article by a Sand Diego lawyer and LUG member who tells how
he forced Compaq to refund the portion of his new computer price that
was attributable to MS Win.

Straight forward and accurate, legally. He urges others to do it on
1/23/03.