kaze on Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:01:08 -0500

refurb? (was RE: UPS VA ratings (was: Re: [PLUG] equipment give-away on Wed evening))

I have a APC Smart-UPS 1000, 'bout 5 years old now - the replace battery
light is coming on... During the last few weeks sometimes when we'd turn on
a florescent light or print to the LED printer one or two machines would
reboot - very annoying. APC wants hundreds of dollars to replace the
battery; and seem to be pushing for people to "trade up" to newer models.

Anyone have experience with or know of a cheaper way I can get the battery
refurbished or where to buy a refurbished one?

Also re this thread, I learned in this low power apartment with fuses in it,
there are fuses designed for use with AC motors (aircon, vacuum) which
really make a difference! So, is the UPS VA model number kind of a
misleading marketing thing, like selling audio equipment based on the peak
numbers instead of the RMS ones?