Tobias DiPasquale on Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:16:37 -0500

Re: Re: [PLUG] OT Sparc

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 10:58, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:17:06PM -0700, Naresh Ganta Reddy wrote:
> > Or even free BSD.
>
> I'd be a little more hesitant. FreeBSD was originally optimized for
> the IA32. It's been retrofitted onto some other architectures, often
> in ways more graceful than Linux (remember MkLinux? ::shudder::),
> but it's focus is still performance on its primary platform.
>
> But I'm saying this without having *used* FreeBSD on sparc. Maybe
> it's great!

Another even more pertinent reason not to use FreeBSD on Sparc is that
it's very new and not well supported yet. You can only get support for
Sparc64 with FreeBSD 5.x, which isn't released yet and is iffy at best.
However, I am having pretty good luck with OpenBSD 3.2 on Sparc64 and
NetBSD should likewise support the Sparc64 architecture quite well
(having been supporting it the longest of the three OS's in question).

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036