gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:13:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT Sparc

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:49:48AM -0500, Edward M. Corrado wrote:
> As Gabriel mentioned, it should work. I did a quick peak on Sun's website
> and I couldn't find the supported systems list for Solaris, but I believe
> that the LX was on the list when I looked at the list when 9 first
> came out. As far as performance goes, I don't know how much better Linux
> or NetBSD will be, but I'm sure that no matter what you use, anything
> involving X will be slow.

I say that because Linux and NetBSD are both tuned, these days, to
perform well on lower-end machines (though both are bloating in
nasty ways) and it's *far* easier to make yourself a tight kernel
(in that you actually have the source) with only the hardware
devices you have and use loaded.

> Talking about SPARCs, does anyone have a recommendation on what distro of
> Linux to run on a SPARC 5? In the last few years, I have mostly ran Red
> Hat on x86, and recently have been running Yellow Dog on my iBook. Since
> neither of them have a SPARC version (anymore), I need to try something
> else. I have a small collection (four) of SPARC 5's and at least one of
> them should have Linux on it.

Debian will almost definitely be this mailing lists recommendation.
:^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net