Stephen Gran on Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:41:02 -0500

[PLUG] Recording VCDs

Hello all,

I have downloaded several .avi's, and would like to burn them to CD (as
VCDs) for viewing on my DVD player.  I have a CD-R/RW, but not a DVD-R.
I think this should be doable, so long as I'm not burning anything too
long, right?  I honestly don't know - I've never even messedwith DVD's
up until a few weeks ago, when we finaly got around to getting one.

Now for the first stumble.
steve@gashuffer:~$ file Buffy.avi
Buffy.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI

OK, should be able to be converted to mpeg (for eventual burning, right?

steve@gashuffer:~$ lavinfo Buffy.avi
++ WARN: [lavinfo] Input file Buffy.avi is not in  JPEG 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 format
**ERROR: [lavinfo] File Buffy.avi has 30.036344 frames/sec, choose norm with +[np] param

So this file won't work, apparently.  I've tried the manpages for
mencoder (from the mplayer source), but as I know next to nothing about
video formats, much of it is greek to me.

Can someone who understands video formats explain (speak slowly so this
doddering idiot can follow you) how to take a file that is apparently an
avi (but not the right kind?) and convert it to something useable, if
this is indeed possible.

Be kind.  I still miss betamax.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The older a man gets, the farther he    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | had to walk to school as a boy.         |