JP Toto on Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:41:02 -0500

[PLUG] PostgreSQL & XML Output

Hi all. I'm working on an intranet project at home and have a question about
Postgres and it's functionality with XML - if it has any. I will be running
Postgres as the database with PHP and apache serving up web pages. At work
we've been using SQL Server 2000 which can return an XML recordset natively
that you can easily load into an XML dom object for later transformation.
This allows us to have a very clean segregation of data and xsl presentation
with our application. I'd like to try and replicate that using open source
tools at home. I'm already mostly up to speed with PHP, apache, and have
been learning Postgres. My question is... does anyone know how, through
either PHP, or through a Postgres add-on to return an XML recordset from
Postgres? There is a module in PEAR called sql2xml but I haven't had much
success using it against Postgres (works fine with Mysql - go figure). Any
advice or pointers would be great Thanks!

PS - I'm using Postgres over Mysql because of its feature set. I'm fairly
addicted to stored procedures so I don't want to give them up :-)

---
JP Toto
ViceClown@yahoo.com
jtoto@member.fsf.org