Tobias DiPasquale on Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:03:07 -0500

Re: OpenFirmware (was: Re: [PLUG] Sun Ultra 10, Install Help)

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 12:25, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Huh?
>
> That doesn't make sense to me. OpenFirmware is a term for an
> industry (and cross-vendor; at least Apple uses it too, and boy
> howdy do I wish I could buy an IA32 BIOS that used an OF interface)
> standard for addressing and presenting devices.
>
> So if it presents an OpenFirmware device tree (which it does) and
> accepts OpenFirmware commands (it does), then it's OpenFirmware.
>
> Now, if you mean that Sun doesn't use the same version of OpenBoot
> (their internally-modified OpenFirmware PROM) on the Ultra 5s and
> 10s that they do on the Enterprise servers, I'm totally willing to
> believe that (though I hadn't heard it anywhere before), especially
> since Apple's floated no fewer than five (and, I think, more than
> that) versions of their boot PROM (which they just call
> OpenFirmware, confusing the situation worse).

That's what I was talking about. I misspoke myself. The enterprise
systems have several extra features that interact with the LOM (Lights
Out Management) system so that they can come up faster and be more
device-aware and whatnot, for more critical applications of said
servers.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036