Sean Cummins on Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:59:15 -0500

[PLUG] Re: Server Recommendation

gabriel rosenkoetter writes:

Incidentally, what're you allowed to say in public about how soon we
can do replications between Symms and Clariions (checked the web
site this time! ;^>)? I know what my EMC sales rep is telling me,
but he's the one trying to sell me a Clariion, so...

I really can't say anything at all about direct Symm <-> Clariion replication, but you can use Clariion SnapView and MirrorView to achieve the same functionality as TimeFinder & SRDF currently -- its just Clariion to Clariion. The only current way to do Clariion -> Symm replication is with some kind of host based LVM -- Veritas Volume Replicator tends to be the most common choice for this.

EMC does have a swap-in program though, where you can trade in your Clariion (or an older Symm, or whatever) for credit towards something better, so you're not locking yourself into the Clariion platform. It works out well for people who don't need (and don't want to pay for) something as big as the Symm to start out with, but want to be able to scale above the Clariion's capabilities in the future. And they'll generally let you hold onto the Clariion until everything is migrated to the Symm, so you don't have to scramble to get the data migrated.