Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:11:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Joystick detected, but not...

> Note that I've been modprobing joydev and analog manually.

Can you give us the output of modprobe?

Also, what does uname -a say?

> Does anyone have a clue why, given that the joystick is detected, the
> system is not allocating I/O space to it?

How did you try to access joystick? What program?

> PS:  Some of the modules I don't recognize.  I have no idea what
> sd_mod, sr_mod, lockd, sunrpc, and rtc do.  Is there a handy way of getting
> documentation for a module with just its name?

sd_mod and sr_mod are used for scsi device emulation (cdrw drives for
example). Leave them alone

sunrpc is sun's remote procedure protocol for nfs if you don't want nfs,
you probably don't need these.

Knowing about this is why I recommend anyone who seriously wants to
consider themselves a linux system's administrator to at least install
debian vanilla once (or slackware of lfs). If you don't know why it works
how are you going to ensure that it keeps working?

As for the modules, I usually do:

grep -r module_name /usr/local/src/linux-kernel-source/Documentation

This will point you in the right place and often give you an email message
of the developer if you think found a bug.

Good luck,

Fred Ollinger