Gregson Helledy on Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:10:34 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Joystick detected, but not...

Fred,

Here's what I did last night, in response to your questions:

root@sleepy:/etc# modprobe
modprobe: Nothing to load ???
Specify at least a module or a wildcard like \*
root@sleepy:/etc# modprobe joydev
root@sleepy:/etc# modprobe analog
root@sleepy:/etc# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
analog                  7488   0  (unused)
joydev                  6784   0  (unused)
NVdriver              945472  10  (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2848   2  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               4384   2  (autoclean)
nfsd                   66592   0  (unused)
nfs                    71196   0  (unused)
lockd                  48288   0  [nfsd nfs]
sunrpc                 59732   0  [nfsd nfs lockd]
es1371                 27072   0
soundcore               3588   4  [es1371]
ac97_codec              9696   0  [es1371]
gameport                1548   0  [analog es1371]
apm                     9276   0
ne2k-pci                5056   1
8390                    6016   0  [ne2k-pci]
smbfs                  32160   1
printer                 5600   0
parport_pc             14756   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6080   0
parport                23264   1  [parport_pc lp]
ide-scsi                7648   0
ide-cd                 26656   0
sr_mod                 13144   0  (unused)
cdrom                  28960   0  [ide-cd sr_mod]
scsi_mod               50396   2  [ide-scsi sr_mod]
rtc                     5592   0  (autoclean)
root@sleepy:/etc# uname -a
Linux sleepy 2.4.18 #1 Tue Jul 23 22:23:42 EDT 2002 i686 unknown
root@sleepy:/etc# apropos joystick
fgjs (1)             - FlightGear Joystick Utility
inputattach (1)      - attach a serial line to a joystick device
joystick-device-check (8) - checks and fixes the joystick device files
js_demo (1)          - joystick test program for FlightGear
jscal (1)            - joystick calibration program
jscalibrator (1)     - Joystick Calibrator
jstest (1)           - joystick test program
fgjs (1)             - FlightGear Joystick Utility
inputattach (1)      - attach a serial line to a joystick device
joystick-device-check (8) - checks and fixes the joystick device files
js_demo (1)          - joystick test program for FlightGear
jscal (1)            - joystick calibration program
jscalibrator (1)     - Joystick Calibrator
jstest (1)           - joystick test program
root@sleepy:/# cd /usr/games
root@sleepy:/usr/games# ./fgjs
Found 0 joystick(s)
Can't find any joysticks ...
root@sleepy:/usr/games# jscal -t /dev/js0
jscal: can't open joystick device: No such device
root@sleepy:/usr/games# jscalibrator &
[1] 607
jscalibrator: error while loading shared libraries: libjsw.so: cannot open
root@sleepy:/usr/games# joystick-device-check
device files are okay!
[1]+  Exit 127                jscalibrator
root@sleepy:/usr/games# jstest /dev/js0
jstest: No such device
root@sleepy:/usr/games# dpkg-reconfigure libjsw1.5
root@sleepy:/usr/games# jscalibrator
jscalibrator: error while loading shared libraries: libjsw.so: cannot open

===
So, uninstall and reinstall libjsw1.5...on which jscalibrator depends
Now, when I run jscalibrator, I get a gui window which says:
"could not access the specified path(s), please verify that the path(s)
are specified correctly and that you have sufficient permission
to access them.  Also make sure that the joystick in question is
actually connected, turned on (as needed), not in use by another
program, and that the joystick driver or module is loaded (type
'modprobe <driver_name>'"
The listed device is /dev/js0.
===

root@sleepy:/dev# ll | grep js
cr--r--r--    1 root     root      13, 128 Jul 18  2002 djs0
cr--r--r--    1 root     root      13, 129 Jul 18  2002 djs1
cr--r--r--    1 root     root      13, 130 Jul 18  2002 djs2
cr--r--r--    1 root     root      13, 131 Jul 18  2002 djs3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Dec 13 22:24 js0 ->
/dev/input/js0
cr--r--r--    1 root     root      13,   1 Jul 18  2002 js1
cr--r--r--    1 root     root      13,   2 Jul 18  2002 js2
cr--r--r--    1 root     root      13,   3 Jul 18  2002 js3

root@sleepy:~# cd /dev/input
root@sleepy:/dev/input# ll
total 0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  64 Mar 24  2002 event0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  65 Mar 24  2002 event1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  66 Mar 24  2002 event2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  67 Mar 24  2002 event3
crwxrwx---    1 root     users     13,   0 Mar 24  2002 js0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   1 Mar 24  2002 js1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   2 Mar 24  2002 js2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   3 Mar 24  2002 js3
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 24  2002 mice
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  32 Mar 24  2002 mouse0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  33 Mar 24  2002 mouse1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  34 Mar 24  2002 mouse2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  35 Mar 24  2002 mouse3
====

Does this help?  As you can see, I've loosened up the perms
on /dev/input/js0 and made it belong to group "users".  This
was on someone else's advice.  Obviously that didn't help.

I just don't understand how something can be detected in dmesg and
yet there's no I/O address allocated for it.

Greg

(PS:  Thanks for the tip on modules)

> Note that I've been modprobing joydev and analog manually.

Can you give us the output of modprobe?

Also, what does uname -a say?

> Does anyone have a clue why, given that the joystick is detected, the
> system is not allocating I/O space to it?

How did you try to access joystick? What program?

> PS:  Some of the modules I don't recognize.  I have no idea what
> sd_mod, sr_mod, lockd, sunrpc, and rtc do.  Is there a handy way of
getting
> documentation for a module with just its name?

sd_mod and sr_mod are used for scsi device emulation (cdrw drives for
example). Leave them alone

sunrpc is sun's remote procedure protocol for nfs if you don't want nfs,
you probably don't need these.

Knowing about this is why I recommend anyone who seriously wants to
consider themselves a linux system's administrator to at least install
debian vanilla once (or slackware of lfs). If you don't know why it works
how are you going to ensure that it keeps working?

As for the modules, I usually do:

grep -r module_name /usr/local/src/linux-kernel-source/Documentation

This will point you in the right place and often give you an email message
of the developer if you think found a bug.

Good luck,

Fred Ollinger

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise