Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:33:50 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Joystick detected, but not...

> root@sleepy:/etc# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> analog                  7488   0  (unused)
> joydev                  6784   0  (unused)

joystick, I guess.

> NVdriver              945472  10  (autoclean)

Graphics.

> nls_iso8859-1           2848   2  (autoclean)
> nls_cp437               4384   2  (autoclean)

??

> nfsd                   66592   0  (unused)
> nfs                    71196   0  (unused)
> lockd                  48288   0  [nfsd nfs]
> sunrpc                 59732   0  [nfsd nfs lockd]

Are you running nfs? Just curious.

> es1371                 27072   0
> soundcore               3588   4  [es1371]
> ac97_codec              9696   0  [es1371]

Sound.

> gameport                1548   0  [analog es1371]
> apm                     9276   0

??

> ne2k-pci                5056   1
> 8390                    6016   0  [ne2k-pci]

A net card.

> smbfs                  32160   1

Samba. Are you running samba? Just curious.

> printer                 5600   0
> parport_pc             14756   1  (autoclean)
> lp                      6080   0
> parport                23264   1  [parport_pc lp]

parallel port printer.

> ide-scsi                7648   0
> ide-cd                 26656   0
> sr_mod                 13144   0  (unused)
> cdrom                  28960   0  [ide-cd sr_mod]
> scsi_mod               50396   2  [ide-scsi sr_mod]

All for a cd burner.

> rtc                     5592   0  (autoclean)

??

> root@sleepy:/etc# uname -a
> Linux sleepy 2.4.18 #1 Tue Jul 23 22:23:42 EDT 2002 i686 unknown

The best linux kernel, IMHO, for stability.

> root@sleepy:/# cd /usr/games
> root@sleepy:/usr/games# ./fgjs
> Found 0 joystick(s)
> Can't find any joysticks ...

This was the original problem. Sorry, I do enjoy solving these sorts of
problems.

> root@sleepy:/usr/games# jscal -t /dev/js0
> jscal: can't open joystick device: No such device

Can you do

ls -al /dev/js*

And give us results? I'm curious.

> root@sleepy:/usr/games# jscalibrator &
> [1] 607
> jscalibrator: error while loading shared libraries: libjsw.so: cannot open

Ouch. This isn't terribly fatal, but really this shouldn't happen. I
wonder what happened. As this is libranet, it should have installed the
proper dependencies. I see that this is not the case. You installed
libranet, but what does:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

look like?

Can you give us results of:

rpm -qf /usr/games/jscalibrator

> root@sleepy:/usr/games# joystick-device-check
> device files are okay!

Perhaps this program is a liar? :)

> [1]+  Exit 127                jscalibrator
> root@sleepy:/usr/games# jstest /dev/js0
> jstest: No such device

Hmm, now we start thinking that a device file needs to be created. If so,
it's an easy fix.

> root@sleepy:/usr/games# dpkg-reconfigure libjsw1.5
> root@sleepy:/usr/games# jscalibrator
> jscalibrator: error while loading shared libraries: libjsw.so: cannot open
>
> ===
> So, uninstall and reinstall libjsw1.5...on which jscalibrator depends
> Now, when I run jscalibrator, I get a gui window which says:
> "could not access the specified path(s), please verify that the path(s)
> are specified correctly and that you have sufficient permission
> to access them.  Also make sure that the joystick in question is
> actually connected, turned on (as needed), not in use by another
> program, and that the joystick driver or module is loaded (type
> 'modprobe <driver_name>'"
> The listed device is /dev/js0.
> ===

As we saw, you really did all this.

Snip proof that your /dev/js0 exists and is symlinked to /dev/input/js0.
Sounds good to me.

> Does this help?  As you can see, I've loosened up the perms
> on /dev/input/js0 and made it belong to group "users".  This
> was on someone else's advice.  Obviously that didn't help.
>
> I just don't understand how something can be detected in dmesg and
> yet there's no I/O address allocated for it.

> > Note that I've been modprobing joydev and analog manually.

Usually on a debian system, you can add the modules to /etc/modules and
they will be picked up. Also, there is /etc/modules.conf where you can
assign a module to a device driver (if you have more than one network card
for example, and you want to be sure that eth0 is a tulip).

I have never setup a joystick on a machine. To me, this is a learning
experience. I think that unix device drivers are cool as there's lots of
hacking you can do (not that I have done anything as cool as written my
own driver, yet).

You will find that in the linux kernel tree,
Documentation/input/joystick.txt is really good reading.

There is a jstest program that exists, that you can try. For example, what
kind of js do you have again? There might be some more modules that you
need. I learned this from joystick.txt.

Here's a url w/ more info:

http://www.suse.cz/development/input/

There is a list for supported hardware:

http://www.suse.cz/development/input/hardware.html

Note that this is a suse site, but they release changes to the vanilla
kernel, so you can find that if they have support in a newer kernel, you
can grab that from kernel.org and you will be set.

Out of curiousity, what games do you want to play?

I would like to get some game pads to play some of the older games under
emulation w/ my wife, but I haven't gotten around to getting joysticks.
This might spur me on to making that purchase. :)

Feel free to write back; this seems to be a solvable problem, if you like.

Good luck and have fun,

Fred Ollinger