Stephen Gran on Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:53:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Joystick detected, but not...

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:00:45AM -0500, Gregson Helledy said:
> OK:
> For the sake of being thorough, I tried adding joydev and analog to
> /etc/modules.
> No change in result.
> Also, interestingly, rtc (the real-time clock) module does NOT appear in
> /etc/modules.  It DOES appear in /etc/modules.conf, aliased to
> char-major-10-135.
> Any guesses as to where that's being called from?
> I also commented out nfs and nfsd...it seems that my networking's going to
> be thru samba for the forseeable future.
<snip lsmod>
> Hey-guess whom I just got an answer from?  Vojtech Pavlik, maintainer of
> the joystick module.  His response consisted of the following:
>
> "You need to use the 'joystick=0x200' parameter to es1371 ..."
>
> So now the question becomes, how do I pass a parameter to a kernel module?

I don't know libranet, but under Debian, there's a program `modconf`
that'll let you pick a kernel module to install, and add any necessary
parameters to it.  The 'do-it-by-hand' method is to create a file under
/etc/modutils, say 'joydev' with a line something like
options es1371 'joystick=0x200'
(take a look at the other files you find there, my memory of the real
syntax is almost certainly off, and I haven't had enough coffee yet)
as the only line, and then either run `update-modules` (if present) or
just `cat /etc/modutils/joydev >> /etc/modules.conf

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Ninety percent of everything is crap.   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | -- Theodore Sturgeon                    |