Gregson Helledy on Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:58:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Joystick detected, but not...

OK:
For the sake of being thorough, I tried adding joydev and analog to
/etc/modules.
No change in result.
Also, interestingly, rtc (the real-time clock) module does NOT appear in
/etc/modules.  It DOES appear in /etc/modules.conf, aliased to
char-major-10-135.
Any guesses as to where that's being called from?
I also commented out nfs and nfsd...it seems that my networking's going to
be
thru samba for the forseeable future.

Thus, lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
sd_mod                  9980   2  (autoclean)
usb-storage            49248   1
NVdriver              945472  10  (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2848   3  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               4384   3  (autoclean)
analog                  7488   0  (unused)
joydev                  6784   0
es1371                 27072   0
soundcore               3588   4  [es1371]
ac97_codec              9696   0  [es1371]
gameport                1548   0  [analog es1371]
apm                     9276   0
ne2k-pci                5056   1
8390                    6016   0  [ne2k-pci]
smbfs                  32160   1
printer                 5600   0
parport_pc             14756   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6080   0
parport                23264   1  [parport_pc lp]
ide-scsi                7648   0
ide-cd                 26656   0
sr_mod                 13144   0  (unused)
cdrom                  28960   0  [ide-cd sr_mod]
scsi_mod               50396   4  [sd_mod usb-storage ide-scsi sr_mod]
rtc                     5592   0  (autoclean)

--------

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

sr_mod
ide-cd ignore="hdc"
ide-scsi
parport
lp
printer
smbfs
libranet-ethernet-0
apm

libranet-sound-0
joydev
analog

#nfs
#nfsd

--------

Hey-guess whom I just got an answer from?  Vojtech Pavlik, maintainer of
the joystick module.  His response consisted of the following:

"You need to use the 'joystick=0x200' parameter to es1371 ..."

So now the question becomes, how do I pass a parameter to a kernel module?

BTW, the reason behind all this is that I want to play Flightgear, the OSS
flight sim. (www.flightgear.org).  It is included in Debian.  I retrieved it
without trouble, but a flight sim where you have to maneuver with the arrow
keys isn't a whole lot of fun!

Greg

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise