Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:08:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Joystick detected, but not...

> I'll check those things out tonight.
>
> With reference to modules:

> =
> >Englih
> >>=20
> >> So this is not needed for us English speakers?
>
> >No. Not usually, anyway... not unless some app you are running needs
> >them.
>
> I do not know why cp437 and iso8859-1 are loaded, except that I also use
> cyrillic on my machine.  When I start typing in Russian, cp1251 is loaded
> dynamically.  When I then switch back to latin characters, the machine may
> then look to load one (or both) of these character sets.  I change alphabets
> through the keyboard|country function of KDE's (2.2.2) control panel.

Nothing to worry about. I just like to know what's going on with respect
to my machines in every way. But for the most part loading a few
unnecessary modules doesn't hurt anything especially if you have > 64MB of
ram like most people.

Since I don't know about them, they might not even be necesssary. I'm
guessing that lots of distros these days load a lot of modules that might
not be needed, but this is easier for the end user so no sweat.

> >>This is still useful if you are not on a laptop. It can turn the
> >>power-saving mode on, cut the processor speed down, blank out the
> >>monitor... things like that. You should leave it in there.
>
> I manually added apm to /etc/modules because otherwise the system doesn't
> use the "energy star" features of the monitor or shut itself off when I
> shut down.

Does it work now? I have never done anything w/ power saving modes. Maybe
I should. :)

> >>=20
> >> Can you please give us detail on what this means? Just curious.
>
> >rtc is used to allow access to the hardware clock via /dev/rtc. Some
> >special programs require that. You'd know it if you were running one
> >that needed it, however.
>
> Well then, that's definitely a candidate for commenting-out in /etc/modules.
> Wonder why Libranet would put that in there?

As per above, I would leave it there unless you have problems as it
probably doesn't hurt.

Personally, I'd turn it off. If something breaks, I'd waste a couple of
hours sorting it out then I'd put it back. This to save a couple of KB of
ram and milliseconds in booting. :) You would learn something, though.

Fred Ollinger