Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:11:38 -0500

[PLUG] netapp snapshots under linux?

If you don't know netapps, one of the cool features for users is that
you get a magic directory in every directory called .snapshot. In it
are versions of the directory at predefined previous times. It's very
nice. Don't like the modifications you just made? Just go and cp the
old copy back.

I'd like to have something kind of like this. I thought about putting
/home/jeff under cvs, but some things are under cvs control for other
reasons, and it'd conflict. (If I put it under cvs, I'd have a cron
job go around and cvs add and commit every night.) Of course, I'd
still have problems with cvs rm not being automatic. Etc.

Anyone know of anything (besides rsync snapshotting, which is way too
non-automatic to recover from) that might provide a snapshot feature
under linux? I don't see anything on freshmeat or google searching
except that the kernel's nfs support special cases netapp mounts to
avoid problems.

--
 Jeff