Adam Lazur on Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:30:32 -0500

[PLUG] Re: netapp snapshots under linux?

Jeff Abrahamson (jeff@purple.com) said:
> Anyone know of anything (besides rsync snapshotting, which is way too
> non-automatic to recover from) that might provide a snapshot feature
> under linux? I don't see anything on freshmeat or google searching
> except that the kernel's nfs support special cases netapp mounts to
> avoid problems.

You'll probably want to check out ports of plan9 stuff, as it's all
about versioning filesystem stuff.

A quick package search on debian yields:

Package: pdumpfs
 pdumpfs is a simple daily backup system similar to Plan9's dumpfs which
 preserves every daily snapshot. pdumpfs is written in Ruby.
 You can access the past snapshots at any time for retrieving a certain day's
 file. Let's backup your home directory with pdumpfs!

If you're not fond of a ruby userspace app, you can also look into
running a 9fs client and server on your local machine. IIRC, there is a
port of 9fs to Linux as userspace apps.

Good luck, and please report results to the list if you find anything
workable :)

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey