gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:00:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Telnet problem

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 09:28:30PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Other thing is that root, by default, is not allowed to directly,
> remotely login.

Says who? Under what specific circumstances?

Many distributions, operating systems, and daemons that perform
logins (login(1), sshd(8), pam(8)) may default to this, but it's
always configurable.

> try logging in as a regular user first.  Then, su - to
> root.

Please don't do that via telnet if you're crossing a public network.

> Actually, start sshd and try "ssh username@hostname".

Far better advice. And to avoid ever passing the root password over
the network, even enciphered, I recomend (as I have before) using
SSH PKI authentication to login directly as root rather than using
su(1).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net