Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:35:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mingetty question

If you would like to elimintate these processes, this can be done in
/etc/inittab. Here are the relevent lines.

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

You may delete them, or you can run something else if you like. I believe
that since these processes are in inittab, they are spawned by init, which
is the mother process that fork()s everyone else.

I generally like to have lots of consoles so I add more. The first number
is a function key, but if this bothers you, just comment them out and
reboot.

Fred