Walt Mankowski on Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:57:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] directory conventions

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:49:17AM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> AIX and Solaris both have no /home partitions by default. You would have
> to repartition to make them. Solaris uses /space and AIX uses /usr/home,
> as you've stated. Like I said, it's just what I was told... I didn't
> necessarily believe it. I'd like to talk to Ken Thompson on this one,
> though, to find out for sure ;-)

Let's do the next best thing and consult Brian Kernighan and Rob
Pike's venerable "The Unix Programming Environment", published in
in the Elder Days (1984).  On page 22 they write:

     On many systems, /usr is a directory that contains the
     directories of all the normal users of the system.

Then on page 64, in a table entitled "Interesting Directories", they
say that /usr is the "user file system" and show both system
directories (/usr/include, /usr/bin, etc.) and user login directories
(/usr/you) underneath it.

Walt