epike on Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:15:27 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Telnet problem

hi

with RH 8.0 i suggest:

1. verify telnetd is installed (rpm -q -a  | grep -i telnet
   If its not installed, install it (yes sometimes 8.0
   does not install it anymore, depends on which
   kind of install you follow).

   i.e, on my box which is rh 7.2:

   [root@hagibis root]# rpm -q -a | grep -i telnet
   telnet-server-0.17-20

2. if its installed, its probably not listneing by
   default, edit /etc/xinetd.d/telnet.  You will see
   a line "disable = yes" change that to "disable = no".
3. You may want to limit telnet logins to specific
   hosts, you can do that by putting a line such
   as: "only_from = 192.168.1.0 127.0.0.1" (my
   actual working config).
4. restart xinetd.

regards
epike / jondz