Kevin D. McAllister on Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:34:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "Friends don't let friends use Dell"

* Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 05:21:02PM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> Red Hat installs fine, no complaints, and even seems to recognize my
> video card and monitor.
>
> XFree86 doesn't work.
>
> OK I know Dell somewhat recently got out of the Linux business, but boy
> oh boy I didn't know they were going to go out of their way to use
> stuff that doesn't work with Linux (actually, I'm lying... I used to
> support their laptops so I know what kind of compatibility pains can
> come with Dells).  Turns out that the video chipset they are using
> won't be supported until XFree86 4.3.0.
>
> Right now I'm compiling binary RPM's from the SRPM's from Rawhide
> (XFree86-4.2.99) and crossing my fingers (and maybe saluting this Dell
> with a finger).  Every time I touch a piece of Dell hardware I am
> reminded way I dislike their hardware and why, given an opportunity to
> do so, I'd never sign a purchase order for Dell hardware.

I have a similar machine at my current contract.  I did compile the
XFree86 from CVS and I think I am actually currently running the
Rawhide XFree86.  It should work.  It did for me.  Just don't count on
doing too much Accelerated OpenGL stuff.  :)

Also sometimes X crashes when switching two and from VTs.  I have
started not doing any switching at this machine.

I believe the chip is the intel i830 integrated on the motherboard and
the main point of contention is that it needs to borrow from the
system memory for its video memory.  You probably could get the
original X to work if you set your resolution to 648x480.

--
Kevin D. McAllister
kevin@mcallister.ws