Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:56:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "Friends don't let friends use Dell"

> Took the Red Hat defaults.  Doesn't matter.  The install wasn't b0rked.
>   Dell shipped a video chipset that wasn't yet supported by XFree86.

Maybe yours is different than mine.

> > Although I don't like rh's business practices, I don't think that this
> > is
> > correct. This is an XFree related question, which as you realize
> > transcends mere distro anomolies.

> > I am typing on that model right now from rh7.2. I can give you a copy
> > of
> > my XFree86-4 file. I can't help you w/ anything other than rh7.2,
> > however,
> > b/c that's all I have experience w/.
>
> What video chipset is in yours?  I can send you a dmesg from my box
> when I get back tomorrow morning.

I'm not sure, does this help:

 Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon VE QY (rev 0).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf0000000 [0xf7ffffff].
      I/O at 0xec00 [0xecff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff8f0000 [0xff8fffff].
  Bus  2, device  12, function  0:

I'm back at work typing on the machine. I'm in 1024Xsomething, I can
change to lower resolution via the usual method (ctrl-alt-+) so I'm not
stuck in some crap mode.

The graphics _are_ laggier than the old machines here so I'm guessing
that's due to sharing video memory and regular mem--boy doesn't that sound
like cheap crap.

If you need anything else, I'll be happy to help you.

Fred Ollinger