epike on Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:41:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] firewall risk

how about this for an idea.  I'm not sure if
this makes sense, or if it would work at all:

suppose you have masquerading and forwarding enabled,
that is if you allow forwarding of 192.168.1.x
and masqueraded them to come from your public ip,
lets say 1.2.3.4.

somebody from outside could configure their box
as a 192.168.1.x, configure your 1.2.3.4 as its
gateway.  if your'e NOT using ip tables to
filter out 192.168.1.x from the 1.2.3.4 address,
AND you dont have rp_filter enabled, he could
"pretend" to be you when he surfs the net...
he could probably pretend to be coming from your
internal net also...

I'm not sure if that would work or not...
well maybe not but I dont know why either..

jondz/epike